Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Racism

I've been so discouraged, appalled really, lately about the use of the word "racist" in the media that I am compelled to blog. I have been researching the origins or slavery, and how the democratic and republican parties have handled racism/discrimination for the past 100+ years and have found out some interesting information. You can visit these sites for more info if you have time, but I'll briefly describe what I've found below. http://africanhistory.about.com/od/slavery/tp/TransAtlantic001.htm#;
http://www.nodnc.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=401.
I found articles about Republican racism, but didn't find much in the way of actual voting records. I researched by typing in "history of African slavery", "democratic racism" and "republican racism" in Google search.

The Portugese started slavery and bought African people to be used as slaves from their own African kings and merchants. They were then distributed throughout Europe and America. Most of the slaves brought to America were sent to S. America. The Republican party was the driving force behind the elimination of slavery in America.

The Democratic party has a long, sad history of racism (KKK was started by the Democratic party). There are racISTS on all sides, but racISM is far more ingrained in the history of the Democratic party. I am not trying to demonize anyone, but we all need to remember not to throw rocks when we live in glass houses.

My main point with this blog is to encourage you not to fall for the judgmental and partisan rhetoric we hear on a daily basis, especially when it comes to the "racist" accusations being thrown around. Sometimes, the racism rhetoric keeps people in business and in the news. It's also a way to divide us, and thus discouraging us from loving each other and really moving beyond racism. The fact we elected a biracial president is maybe the biggest indicator that we are actually doing that.

FYI: Skin color means no more to me than eye color, hair color, gender, height, weight, etc. I confess only one prejudice, and that is against prejudiced people.

No comments:

Post a Comment